Covering 45,000km² of wilderness, with grassy plains, open woodland, mountains and forests, the Selous Game Reserve (pronounced ‘seloo’, and named after the great explorer and hunter, Frederick Courtney Selous) is Africa’s largest game reserve. It’s about three times the size of South Africa’s Kruger National Park, and twice the size of the Serengeti National Park. In a fitting tribute, it is also one of Tanzania’s three World Heritage Sites.
Introduction to a Selous Safari
At the heart of the Selous Game Reserve, Tanzania’s largest river, the Rufiji, forms a complex network of channels, lakes , and swamps that create one of the most outstanding ecological systems in East Africa. This river also splits the reserve into two different sections:
- The northern Selous covers only around 5% of the reserve’s total area. No hunting is allowed here; this area is dedicated exclusively to photographic safaris. Virtually all of the small exclusive camps which we offer operate in this area.
- The southern Selous, south of the Rufiji, is split up into a number of ‘hunting blocks’ – each of which typically cover about 1,000km². Expert Africa doesn’t offer hunting safaris.
- A response to your quote request within 24 hours of receipt, and timely communication thereafter;
- A friendly, patient approach, with a personal touch and professional suggestions;
- Expertise and knowledge to clearly understand your needs;
- Sensitivity regarding any special needs you may have;
- Relentless efforts to make sure your program includes everything you require;
- Superbly designed itineraries;
- Caring drivers who put a premium on safety, and, importantly, know their stuff;
- A new, well-maintained, and comfortable 4×4 safari vehicle fleet, with good openings for wildlife spotting and photography;
- High-quality equipment, especially for mountain expeditions;
- Accommodation with the highest standards;
- Ongoing collaboration with our suppliers to ensure that best practices are being followed in healthcare and safety;
- A seamless holiday where everything goes like clockwork and as promised;